Records indicate that a quarterly meeting was held in 1842 at Lindley's Camp Ground about a mile west of the present church. Around the mid-1840's the Circuit Riders (who were men of vision) began thinking of erecting a church building.
Construction began in 1850 on four acres of land donated by Anderson T Glenn. A second church building was erected in 1888. This construction was under the direction of the trustees and building committee.
In 1905 an annex with two classrooms was added to the 1888 structure and sometime before 1920 a similar annex was built. In 1906 an additional 0.49 acres of land was donated to provide an area shaded by tress where horses could be hitched
In 1950 construction was completed, adding an educational building, composed of classrooms, library, dining room, kitchen rest rooms. Center's use of the renovated auditorium & new addition was short lived. Sadly, in September 1955, there was a fire at the church which destroyed the building. The church was only had partial insurance coverage, but thanks to community efforts, including auctions & commemorative quilts, collections from neighboring churches and generous donations including building materials and labor, the new church was built.
The Methodist Church sign (picture to the left) was recently found during some "house cleaning". It is believed that the sign was made some time prior to 1963, when in use, it was placed on Switchboard Road, and was the original directional sign for the church.
Let us welcome our new preacher Rev. Steve Taylor, together with his wife Sherri as they join our community and church family. Rev. Taylor has graciously agreed to lead our church in service and we look forward to a long and harmonious future.
We would also like to give a very big thank you to Rev. Parker Pollock and the Lay Preachers from Piney Grove, who helped us tremendously through this time of transition.
Thank you to all those who came out this weekend and put together the Poinsettia tree and decorate the church & fellowship hall for Christmas.
Also a big thanks to everyone who set up the fellowship hall and brought food & refreshments for the lunch to welcome Pastor Taylor & his family.
Thank you to everyone who came to lunch & enjoyed good food and fellowship
We had a really good turnout at Haley Bales on Monday night for CMW's annual Christmas dinner. Everyone brought a wrapped ornament and after the meal we played the "right left game". Thanks to Dawn for being the master of ceremonies. It was a lot of fun!
Below are some upcoming events :
Dec 17 @ 9:30am - Center Choir Christmas Special followed by Fellowship Potluck lunch
Those who are sick & hurting: Terry Brown, Scottie Brignon, Bob Haire, Harold Rogers, Theresa Holt, Tony Isley, Janet & Jessica Hill, David & Debra Holt, Roger Moricle, Miranda Goldstein & Soo Kwon
Our Shut-Ins: Jean Thomas, Mildred Guthrie, Peggy Lindley & Jeannette Lindley
Copyright © 2023 Center Methodist Church - All Rights Reserved.